Easter can be an exciting time for both adults and children. While we prepare for Easter, it is essential to keep an eye on potential dangers for your furry friend.
Chocolate contains both caffeine and theobromine (a chemical compound found in the cacao plant) which can be fatal to our pets. It is important to keep chocolate out of reach this Easter. If you are hiding chocolate eggs, keep your pets in a safe location away from the hunt and keep a record of where you have hidden the eggs.
If you do suspect your pet may have eaten some chocolate, call us straight away.
Some symptoms to look out for include:
• Increased urination,
• And in severe cases, seizures.
Hot cross buns
Hot cross buns are another treat to keep out of range of our furry friends. Some hot cross buns contain chocolate which, can be fatal to our pets. They can also contain raisins. Raisins, grapes, sultanas and currants have been shown to cause acute kidney failure in dogs. The exact reason is still not identified; therefore, we cannot determine how much is toxic or which pets are going to be affected. Some pets can eat a few grapes with no ill effects, whereas others may become severely ill with the same amount.
It is always better to be on the safe side, if you do suspect your pet has eaten any, please call us straight away.
Initial signs can include:
• Or diarrhoea.
Noises and crowds
New visitors, noises and smells can sometimes cause anxiety for your pet. To help minimise your pet’s stress;
• Create a calm, quiet spot for your pet away from the noise.
• Exercise your pet before any guests arrive.
Small and cute Easter decorations could become choking hazards for your pet, or, if broken, can cause cuts to their mouths. Ensure all decorations are out of your pet’s reach or too big for them to fit in their mouths. If your pet has swallowed or eaten any decorations, please call our team.
Some flowers are toxic to our pets, if you are decorating with flowers or receive them as gifts, place them in a location your pet can’t get to. Some flowers and plants to look out for include:
If your pet has nibbled on any of your flowers, please take a photo of the flower and call our team.